- Top Gear, the British version on BBC America. Few things actually make me laugh out loud spontaneously, and this show is one of them. Watching Jeremy, Richard, and James hack up old cars, slide around a track and wreck things, and "take the piss out of" each other is a wonderful way to unwind in the evenings after ten hours of architectural bullshittery.
- Ink! Coffee. Roasted in Vail, Colorado, their 6610 Blend is strong but low acid. (Translation: it cleans me out but doesn't give me a stomach ache.) Their coffee shops are clean and modern but cozy. Their staff is casual and hipster-ish yet professional and always pour a mean cup. I go to the one in Cherry Creek North, but they have several around Denver and in the mountains.
- Kitteh pictures from my sister. Nothing makes my day like random pictures of one of my sister's several kittehs roaming around the house, nomming something from her plate, playing on the sofa, or snoozing in a cuddle puddle. Epic. Wuv.
- Homemade Greek Pizza. Use either a Flatout! Wheat tortilla or a Boboli crust (or a rolled out pillsbury thin pizza crust) and top it with chopped up cooked chicken, quartered artichoke hearts, sliced kalamata olives, a little shredded pizza cheese, a little crumbled low-fat feta cheese, and some thawed or fresh spinach (red peppers or sundried tomatoes optional). Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for about 7-8 minutes, and top with fresh oregano when you pull it out. Slice up and devour. Pass out from the awesomeness. Repeat as many nights in a row as you like.
- My arms. Since I dropped a few pounds this year, my arms have started looking super-cut. Not only do I love the way they flex, but I love the fact that I can suddenly lift some pretty heavy stuff without breaking a sweat. Looks like the new fitness routine is paying off.
- My husband Guy. Sometimes, when I'm feeling proud of my arms, I'll run into whatever room in which Guy is sitting and start flexing and yelling, "You just won VIP Tickets to the GUN SHOW!! EHN!!!" And Guy doesn't laugh--he just plays along and yells back, "Oh mah GAHH! GUNS!! It's the Guns of the Navarone, muthafucka!"
Wednesday, November 7, 2012
Lord knows Shorty loves to bitch about stuff, but I recently realized while attempting to meditate that I have a pretty damn good life and there's a lot out there to enjoy. Lest you think my whole life is boo-hooing about white-girl problems, here's an extremely-abridged list of things that truly make me happy.
So what makes you happy? What odd pleasure, great or small, gives you a lift?